Motivation, Empowerment, Alignment, Competence, Structure, Improvement
Learn about a new approach to lead and manage Agile organisations.
Agile management is an often overlooked part of Agile. There is a lot of information available for team members, software professionals and project managers on how to be and act Agile, but little information for managers and leaders. However, when organisations adopt Agile, not only team members and project managers need to learn new practices, but managers and leaders must also learn a new approach to managing and leading Agile organisations.
There is a research that shows that “old-style” managers are the biggest obstacle in transitions to an Agile way of working. Furthermore, in an Agile organisation there is no need for “old-style” management. Managers and leaders need to learn what their new role is in Agile organisations.
Attending a Management 3.0 workshop will give people insight in the new role of management in an Agile organisation.
Who should attend
This course aims at managers and leaders who want to learn about how to manage Agile organisations. People who want to know how to contribute to become a great Agile Organisation. Everyone who wants to manage for Happiness.
Professionals who often attend the training are team leaders, managers, Agile coaches, scrum masters, project managers, product owners, senior team members, and top-level management.
“Just the right amount of theory vs. exercises, general experience vs. each participant’s experience, one way teaching vs. two-way sharing/feedback.”
You have the following challenges in your work:
- How can we motivate our workers?
- How can we change the organisation’s culture?
- How can we change the mindset of managers?
- How can we get teams to take responsibility?
- How can we improve teamwork and collaboration?
- How can we get managers to trust their teams?
- How can we make the business more agile?
At least following are topics covered
- Management and Leadership
- Complexity Thinking
- Energize People - Motivation and Engagement
- Empower Teams - Delegation and Empowerment
- Align Constraints - Values and Culture
- Develop Competence - Learning and Competence
- Grow Structure - Scaling organisational Structure
- Improve Everything - Success and Failure
Structure of the workshop
Topics Day 1
- Management and Leadership are one of the two building blocks of Management 3.0. You will learn about the different Management styles, 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0. What are the disadvantages and advantages of the different styles? What is the role of a manager in a Management 3.0 environment;
- Complexity thinking is the other building block of Management 3.0. You will learn about what complexity theory is, about the difference between complex and complicated and about the fallacies that we often recognize in traditional linear thinking. You will learn about the eight guidelines to deal with complexity;
- Energizing people is where it all starts. How do you make sure team members are engaged, motivated and happy? Management is about keeping people active, creative and motivated. You will learn about the difference between extrinsic vs. intrinsic motivation, the ten intrinsic desires and common techniques for understanding what is important for your team members;
- Teams need to self-organize within Agile and this requires empowerment, authorization and trust. You will learn how to make self-organisation work. How to distribute authorization in an organisation, the challenges of empowerment. You will learn about the seven levels of delegation, and authority boards and how to implement the seven levels of delegation;
Topics Day 2
- Self-organisation can lead to anything and thus it requires alignment. Management is about giving team members a clear purpose and defining goals. You need to make sure that everything is aligned within the organisation for the same goal. You will learn that culture is the result of values. You will learn how to help your team to discover their values and how to make values alive instead of just decorations on the wall;
- The world is changing fast and in order to deal with this the team members need to constantly develop their competences. Management is also about contributing to the development of competencies. You will learn about skill levels and discipline levels. You will learn techniques to improve and organize individual meetings with team members. How to make teams discover themselves where to focus on possible next improvements in their competence development by using the Competence Development Matrix;
- Many teams operate within the context of a complex organisation. Therefore it is important to consider structures that enhance communication. You will learn how to grow an organisational structure as a fractal. How to balance specialization and generalization and how to choose between functional and cross-functional teams. About informal leadership and the advantage of people selecting their own job titles and about treating teams as value units in a value network. How do you set up communication structures to make sure that different professionals in different teams communicate well;
- Team members, teams and organisations need to improve every day, they need to learn as fast as possible to defer failure. You will learn about success and failure - do you celebrate failure or do you celebrate success? You will learn about why conducting experiments is important and finally in which organisational structure it is best suitable for conducting experiments;
Games and Exercises
All topics include at least one game or exercise where the attendees put into practice the ideas of the course in groups of four to six people. The goal is to make sure attendees can apply the topics they learn about next day in their organisation.
After every game and/or exercise we will look back. This will give people the opportunity to share what they learned, new insights or experiences they would like to share. The more people interact and discuss, the more they will learn.
- Coffee breaks and lunch included
- Materials and training will be in English
- Participants will receive a certificate of attendance signed by Jurgen Appelo
- No laptop required
- Attendees will receive digital copies of all used materials
- Attending the workshop allows you to become Management 3.0 facilitator
It is also possible to do the workshop in-house. Please contact me directly.
Download here the Management 3.0 Two-Day Workshop brochure.
July 2, 17:00 EEST